Thursday, October 22, 2015

My Texas Alphabet: L for Longhorn

The idea for this alphabet post series comes from ' The Alphabet of My Emigration' by Dee Dorota L., member of The Polish Ladies Abroad Club, who has relocated to England.
I have also decided to join the project and write about My Texas Alphabet twice a week.




Longorn is a Texas State Animal or as you wish - one of the Symbols of Texas. It is a special breed of big and strong cattle which genetically originate from a hybrid of the Middle Eastern and Indian aurochs. The breed have quite distinctive, big, and long horns which can extend even up to seven feet/ about two metres (from one tip to the other).


The cattle were first brought to Texas by Spanish colonists. Some of the bulls and cows grown by them turned loose and, within two hundred years, turned into feral animals. Later, early Texas settlers mixed the wild cattle with the eastern type of cattle they had already had.
This is, more or less, a shortened story of the Longhorn.


I like the majestic look of the Longhorn. It seems quite special. Obviously, it is different than European cattle. Different but in a really interesting way.
All in all, the longer I live in Texas, the more I feel I belong here. And at the same time, the more such Texas symbols become 'my' symbols too.

'L' entries by bloggers of Polish ladies Abroad Club:

Karolina / 
Dee Dorota / L jak Los 
Gabi / L jak Lista
Jagoda / L jak Ludzie 
Justyna / L jak Londyn i Leyland

 
 




1 comment :

  1. I didn't know is called like that, this is really interesting. Love you blog, every day I can find something new about Texas.

    ReplyDelete